Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Mirror, Mirror...

Recently my husband and I were discussing our children, as parents are wont to do...

One of our children has been battling anger issues for a while (with us firmly by child's side assisting in the battle!).  Now, I could go into great detail about all we have tried and the results of each attempt, but, I won't. :)   I WILL say... if your child is having behavioral issues and 'nothing' seems to work... look at the family diet!

After we cleansed our diet of all noticeable fake foods... we had our child back! We saw a noticeable difference in TWO days... and it got better! :)

Sure! Child still has bouts of frustration and anger, but it is no longer a heavy, dark cloud weighing child down.

My dear husband took time to compliment this child for the self-control we have seen clearly displayed on many occasions. Husband told child, 'You haven't been so frustrated and angry lately. I'm proud of you for the self-control you are exercising.'

I smiled as my husband relayed the story. He said child perked up with a big smile and said, 'Mama, too!'

'What do you mean?' asked my husband.

'Mama hasn't been so angry lately either!' explained the child.

OUCH!

Do my children see me as the 'Angry Mom'? I know that I have been working on my patience for years now... but it never occurred to me that my children saw me as angry! Firm? Strict? Maybe. But Angry?? Wow.

Was child's anger issues in part a reflection of me?

Had I taught the child to give into frustration and anger?

Ouch.

On the positive side, both the child and I have made progress!! We will keep working toward self-control, together. 

"So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath;  for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God."
~James 1:19-20~

No comments:

Post a Comment